April 8, 2011

News from the Womb

At 36 weeks, baby's skin is getting smooth and soft, her gums are rigid, her liver and kidneys are in working order, and her circulation and immune system are basically good to go. Her lungs are the only organs that still need to fully mature, but every day she gets a little closer to breathing on her own.

She's also started her descend down my pelvis.  I feel some mild relief from the constant heartburn and shortness of breath.  I can fully inhale into my lungs now. This puts the brunt of the baby's weight solely on my hips and pelvis, making me soon adopt the oh-so-adorable pregnancy waddle. (not looking forward to that). Early this morning, I woke up with a mild, dull stabbing pain in the center of my lower back, right behind the pelvis.  It traveled down my hips and just lingered there.  My husband applied counter pressure and it actually worked!  I'm so relieved to find this out, as this will become handy once real contractions set in.

I have also noticed that my Braxton Hicks have started to get more regular.  I now get them everyday several times, although they feel mild, they can still be annoying.  They start at the top of my belly, making it look like a fist.  At first I thought it was my baby pushing her body out, but then I realized this were the actual BH contractions people talk about.  Sometimes they are accompanied by a twinge or a burning sensation and other times they precede some cramping in the bottom of my belly. 


Wishful thinking for my next prenatal appointment:  To be somewhat effaced or dilated. But this of course is not up to me.  


Less than four weeks until I meet Emilu.  Baby dust to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment