September 1, 2010

Are you in there?



According to every pregnancy website I’m five and half weeks pregnant.  I say this because I still haven’t been to the OB/GYN for the first pre-natal visit.  It so happens that in this wonderful, highly developed country most doctors don’t see you until you are at least 8 weeks pregnant.  So in other words, you are responsible for your own well-being, eating healthy, taking your vitamins and therefore any gestational question you might have at this point will be answered by the highly informative internet.

So what have I learned insofar since no doctor will see me?  The 5th week is one of the most important in the development of the embryo.  The egg has entered the embryonic stage and its highly specialized cells are working infinitely to create the three membrane layers that will target the creation of internal and external organs.  Also the neural tube, which is responsible for the baby’s brain, spinal chord and backbone will sprout soon. The rudimentary heart and circulatory system begin to form as well, and the primitive placenta and umbilical chord have already started to work.  The size of the embryo is that of a sesame seed and the uterus has grown to look like a plum.  Not bad for only 3 weeks of actual pregnancy.  The body and its functions is a mysterious harmonious living thing, and I’m so in awe of how everything works exceptionally well to nourish this alien body growing inside me.

According to these websites, I should be feeling the early symptoms of pregnancy.  However, none of that has occurred yet.  Either I am a lucky woman or is too early.  No nausea, hunger, fatigue, moodiness, etc has interfered with my everyday activities.  So hopefully when I write again next week, I hope I can say I’m still symptom-free.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment